League One Review - Dec 10th

10 December 2011 06:22
Here's our round up of the League One action as everyone is back in action after some had an enforced break given the FA Cup last weekend.

Charlton Athletic had to come from behind to ensure a share of the spoils against Walsall at Bescot. Macken gave the Saddlers the lead in the 36th minute, with Kermorgant levelling on the stroke of half time. Walsall 21st, Charlton Athletic 1st.

Sheffield Wednesday kept up the pressure at the top as they managed to ease past Oldham Athletic with a 2-0 win at Boundary Park. Prutton (62nd min) and a penalty from Lowe (84th min) sealed the points for the Owls. Oldham Athletic 16th, Sheffield Wednesday 2nd.

Franchise FC managed to ease past Tranmere Rovers at Prenton Park with a 2-0 win to record their 6th success on the road this season. Ibehre (19th min) and Williams (60th min) scored the goals to keep the Franchise holders in touch with the automatic places. Tranmere Rovers 15th, Franchise FC 3rd.

Undefeated in 43 matches and then 2 defeats in quick succession for Huddersfield Town who slipped to their first home defeat since Boxing Day last year as the Cherries record their first win away against the Terriers since the 92/93 season. The only goal of the game came in the 19th minute when Arter netted for AFC Bournemouth. Huddersfield Town 4th, AFC Bournemouth 14th.

On a good day for the clubs in the play-off places, Sheffield United recorded a decent 3-0 win over Rochdale at Bramhall Lane. An Evans brace (39th and 64th mins) together with a goal from Cresswell (57th min) sealed the win for the Blades. Sheffield United 5th, Rochdale 22nd.

Brentford managed to sneak back in to the play-off places with a 2-1 over Hartlepool United at Griffin Park as all 3-goals came in a 5-minute spell. McGinn put the Bees ahead in the 80th minute, with Collins levelling 3 minutes later. The winner came in the 85th minute as Alexander netted what proved to be the final goal of the game. Brentford 6th, Hartlepool United 13th.

Carlise United left it late to snatch the points against Scunthorpe United at Glanford Park, even though Barcham gave Scunny the lead in the 3rd minute. The result went the way of the Cumbrians as Berrett (64th min) and Zoko (91st min) sealed the win. Scunthorpe United 20th, Carlisle United 7th.

Notts County slipped to an uncharacteristic defeat against struggling Yeovil Town at Huish Park. The Glovers recorded the win in the 88th minute when Williams popped up with the winner. Yeovil Town 19th, Notts County 8th.

Colchester United swept Bury aside with a comprehensive 4-1 at their Community Stadium. Goals from Duguid (2nd and 31st mins), Henderson (19th min) and James (66th min) only drew a response from John-Lewis (90th min). Colchester United 12th, Bury 11th.

Despite their recent improvement, Exeter City came a cropper against Leyton Orient at Brisbane Road as the locals ran away with a 3-0 win. A Tehoue goal in the 75th minute was the meat in the sandwich of a brace of penalties for Lisbie (65th and 87th mins). Leyton Orient 17th, Exeter City 18th.

The battle at the bottom saw Wycombe Wanderers eventually come through 3-2 winners over Chesterfield at Adams Park even though Morgan gave the Spirites the lead in the 4th minute. McNamee levelled just after the half-hour leaving the scores level at the break. Morgan put the visitors back ahead in the 54th minute, only to see Trotta (79th min) level and Beavon score a 94th minute winner for the Chairboys. Wycombe Wanderers 23rd, Chesterfield 24th.

The only other game played saw Preston North End (10th) draw 0-0 with Stevenage Borough (9th) at Deepdale.


Trending on the forum