League One Review - Dec 1

01 December 2012 06:00
With League action taking a back seat in favour of FA Cup action, here's a look at how League One sides got on.

The only 'giant killing' involving League One sides came at Gresty Road where Burton Albion edged Crewe Alexandra out when Zoko scored the only goal in the 5th minute.

League Two Bradford City came back to draw against Brentford at Valley Parade after Donaldson gave the Bees the lead in the 43rd minute. Hanson levelled in the 70th minute to secure a replay.

Notts County were pegged back and taken to a replay by League Two Rotherham United at the New York Stadium after Arquin gave County a 32nd minute lead. Pringle levelled 10 minutes later.

Bury were held by League Two Southend United after Doherty scored a penalty in the 33rd minute. Tomlin levelled for the Essex side in the 41st minute.

Tranmere Rovers had to come from behind to book their place in the Third Round after Cooper put Chesterfield ahead at Prenton Park. Stockton (42nd min) and McGurk (57th min) turned the game around for the home side.

Doncaster Rovers recent improvement in League form couldn't be taken in to the Cup where Oldham Athletic booked their place for a crack at the big boys with a 3-1 win at Boundary Park. Blake gave Donny the lead in the 4th minute only to see Wabara level on the stroke of half time, with a Derbyshire brace in the 70th and 77th minutes.

Sheffield United left it very late against Port Vale at Bramhall Lane to book their place in the Third Round of the FA Cup after Pope put the League Two side ahead in the 33rd minute. A Miller brace in the 90th and 95th minutes saved United blushes.

Crawley Town eased their way past a tricky tie against Conference South outfit Chelmsford City at Broadfield Stadium. Goals from Adams (23rd min), Clarke (41st min) and an Alexander 89th minute penalty proved to be too much for the non-Leaguers.

Carlisle United will be pleased to see the back of AFC Bournemouth for the time being after the Cumbrians lost at home for the second time in a matter of weeks as the Cherries eased their way to a 3-1 win at Brunton Park. Fogden and O'Kane gave the Cherries a 2-goal cushion going in at the break with strikes in the 30th and 36th minute. Beck pulled one back in the 72nd minute, but any hopes of a salvaging a replay were snuffed out by Pugh in the 90th.

Preston North End eased their way past Gillingham at Deepdale as Monakana (12th min) and Beavon (38th min) scored the goals to take PNE through.

Coventry City had a nervy last few minutes to see their way through to the Third Round after Morecambe made a fight of it. A McSheffrey penalty in the 38th minute got the Sky Blues off the mark, with Barker doubling the advantage just after the break. Ellison set up an interesting final 10 minutes or so with a 77th minute consolation.

The remaining ties involving League One sides see Franchise FC take on AFC Wimbledon in an interesting tie between the two sides given their history.

Leyton Orient face an awkward tie away at Alfreton.


Source: Cherries MAD