League One Review - April 27th

28 April 2013 05:52
Here's the final round up of the season on a dramatic day in League One.

It's congratulations to Doncaster Rovers who snatched promotion, as well as the League One title with a dramatic last gasp win at Griffin Park over fellow promotion rivals Brentford. As late as the 95th minute Trotta missed a penalty for the the Bees, then from the mellee that followed, Donny broke to the other end of the pitch for Coppinger to score in the 96th minute to seal the League One title and a quick return to the Championship, leaving Brentford to pick themselves up for the play-offs. Brentford 3rd, Doncaster Rovers 1st.

AFC Bournemouth couldn't quite finish on top of the pile, being left to rue missed chances in their 0-0 draw against Tranmere Rovers at Prenton Park. Tranmere Rovers 11th, AFC Bournemouth 2nd.

Despite their relegation, Bury finished on a high with a 3-2 win over play-off bound Yeovil Town at Gigg Lane. A brace from Clarke-Harris in the 5th and 25th minutes set the Shakers up nicely, with Ajose extending the lead further in the 32nd minute. The Glovers hit back through Hayter (58th min) and Dawson (93rd min), but it wasn't enough, even though 5 players were booked in the 94th and 95th minutes! Bury 22nd, Yeovil Town 4th.

Sheffield United are going to have to up their game to succeed in the end of season play-offs, especially so as they failed to break stubborn Preston North End resistance at Bramhall Lane. Sheffield United 5th, Preston North End 14th.

Swindon Town head in to the play-offs with a less than convincing 3-1 defeat at the hands of Scunthorpe United at Glandford Park, despite Collins giving the Robins the lead in the 83rd minute. Scunny hit back in an attempt to salvage League One survival with goals from Collins (87th min), Duffy (95th min pen) and Hawley (97th min), but it wasn't enough as the home side were relegated at the end of a disappointing season. Scunthorpe United 21st, Swindon Town 6th.

Colchester United live to tell the tale as they managed to secure their League One status for another year as they secured a 2-0 win over Carlisle United at Brunton Park. Goals from Massey (65th min) and Eastman (80th min) made sure that it was ColU who were staying put for another season. Carlisle United 17th, Colchester United 20th.

Leyton Orient finished 3 points of the play-offs following a 1-1 draw at home to Oldham Athletic at Brisbane Road. Smith gave the O's the lead in the 10th minute, only to see Millar level a minutes after the re-start. Leyton Orient 7th, Oldham Athletic 19th.

Franchise FC will rue their poor disciplinary record and major mid-season wobble as they finished 4-points shy of a play-off place, but did finish the season strongly with a 2-0 win over Stevenage Borough at Broadhall Way. Goals from Bamford (33rd min) and Lowe (77th min) sealed the win for the Franchise Holders. Stevenage Borough 18th, Franchise FC 8th.

Walsall finished a bright season with defeat at Gresty Road against Crewe Alexandra as goals from Murphy (78th min pen) and Aneke (85th min) sealed the points. Crewe Alexandra 13th, Walsall 9th.

Hartlepool United, cheered on by hundreds of fancy dressed penguins (!) finished the season with a decent 2-2 draw at Crawley Town who finish the season in their highest ever league placing. Proctor gave the Sussex side the lead in the 70th minute, with Monkhouse netting a brace for the visitors in the 75th and 79th minutes. Proctor rounded off the scoring with an 89th minute leveller. Crawley Town 10th, Hartlepool United 23rd.

Notts County and Coventry City cancelled each other out at Meadow Lane as the two recorded a 2-2 draw. Waite gave County the lead in the 34th minute, with Fleck levelling 5 minutes after the restart. Pearce restored the home sides advantage 4 minutes later, leaving the last laugh to Moussa who levelled for City in the 86th minute. Notts County 12th, Coventry City 15th.

Shrewsbury Town managed to work themselves in to a 3-goal lead at the New Meadow as Goldson (6th min), Jacobson (37th min) and Asante (56th min) gave the Shrews an end of season boost. Portsmouth, to their credit, came back through Harris (61st min) and Agyemang (78th min), but it wasn't quite enough to snatch a share of the points. Shrewsbury Town 16th, Portsmouth 24th.

Source: Cherries MAD