The in-form striker was tonight due to be on duty for Northern Ireland in their final European Under-21 Championship qualifier in Germany.
But McQuoid was unable to link up with the squad for the trip to Bavaria after last week discovering that his travel document had expired a fortnight ago.
It was a major blow for McQuoid who had been excused from Northern Ireland's clash with San Marino on Friday so he could be available for Cherries' trip to Huddersfield on Saturday.
The Southampton-born 20-year-old, who qualifies for the Ulstermen through his late grandfather, subsequently grabbed Cherries' opener at the Galpharm Stadium, his fourth goal in three games.
McQuoid told the Daily Echo: It's been a nightmare to be honest. After I received the call-up, I contacted the manager to ask him if I could play for Bournemouth on Saturday rather than the under-21s on Friday. He said that would be fine and asked if I could still go to Germany with the squad on Sunday.
Everything was agreed and Northern Ireland were really good about it. I didn't want to turn it down but explained that I had just got in the Bournemouth team and hoped to start against Huddersfield. They could have stopped me but were very understanding about my situation and realised it would be the best thing to do.
I was getting my stuff together at the end of last week and realised my passport had just gone out of date, about two weeks ago. I just randomly checked it and started to panic. Northern Ireland had been so good to me and I didn't want to let them down.
I tried to get an emergency passport. I had to fill in a form, get some photos done and write a letter explaining the circumstances. Either my mum or dad was going to catch a train to London and go to the embassy on my behalf.
But when we phoned them on Friday, we were told there were no appointments left. The earliest I could have got would have been Monday but that would have been too late. By the time I had got everything sorted out, it would have been too much of a rush. I was gutted.
McQuoid, who has also been capped by Northern Ireland B, will be hoping to stake his claim for full honours by maintaining his impressive form for Cherries.
He added: I haven't really thought about that to be honest. This is my last year in the under-21s and my aim is to keep doing well for my club and try to earn my next contract with Bournemouth.
As I progress, it is something I would love to do. I would jump at it if the opportunity were to come about but it is not on my mind at the moment.
I'm not getting carried away or getting too far ahead of myself. I'm just going to keep working hard, concentrate on playing for Bournemouth and see where it takes me.