Cherries: Dan's not the man after that performance

13 December 2010 07:00
REFEREE Danny McDermid was tight-lipped after his baffling decision had provoked outrage during Cherries' controversial defeat by Hartlepool on Saturday.

The official caused a storm when he allowed Pools goalkeeper Jake Kean to escape with a caution after he had lashed out at Cherries midfielder Harry Arter.

Kean, who is on loan to the Teesside outfit from Blackburn Rovers, reacted angrily after Arter had caught him as the two players challenged for a loose ball.

The first-half flashpoint prompted a heated exchange between backroom staff on both benches and eventually resulted in both Kean and Arter receiving yellow cards.

McDermid also booked five other players during the contest including four from the home camp and sent from the dugout Cherries assistant boss Jason Tindall.

However, when asked by the Daily Echo to clarify why Kean had been cautioned and Tindall banished to the stand, the official refused to comment as he left Dean Court.

Pools acting-manager Mick Wadsworth said Kean had been very lucky not to receive a red card, while Cherries boss Eddie Howe was both disappointed and surprised at the decision.

Howe added: If you react like that and raise your hands, you are in trouble. You see it time and time again and it's a straight red card. The referee had a bad day.

Tindall, meanwhile, could face a touchline ban should McDermid opt to report him to the FA after dismissing him from the technical area midway through the second half.

Asked by the Daily Echo why he had been sent to the stand, Tindall replied: You would have to ask the referee because I don't know.

I had a chat with him at half-time to let him know I felt a number of his decisions were wrong but I think that was clear enough for everybody to see.

I asked him if it was okay to slap players around the face and to not get sent off. He said their goalkeeper had just pulled Harry's shirt but I'm not sure 6,000 people would have agreed with that.

Asked whether he had used any foul language towards the official, Tindall replied: No. I was angry and annoyed because I had been asking him to liven up the goalkeeper when he was taking goal kicks.

I had already spoken to the fourth official about trying to speed him up and he told me he had spoken to the referee. I was getting annoyed because he was letting it happen.

Kean was prevented from speaking to the media by the Hartlepool press officer. Pools had not named a substitute goalkeeper on their bench.

Source: Bournemouth_Echo

Trending on the forum