Capital One Cup Review - Aug 28th

28 August 2013 11:39
Here's our round up of the Capital One League Cup.

The biggest shock of the round came at London Road where Peterborough United ran riot over Reading, with a comprehensive 6-0 thrashing of the Berkshire side. Goals from Assombalonga (4th min), a hat trick from Tomlin (19th, 54th (p) and 79th (p) mins) plus Swanson (28th min) and Payne (93rd min) piled the misery on the Royals as they crashed out to the League One outfit.

They might be struggling financially, but Swindon Town gave themselves a massive boost with a potential lucrative third round tie following a superb 2-0 over Queens Park Rangers at Loftus Road. Goals from Ranger (38th min) and Pritchard (91st min) secured the win for the Robins.

Crashing out on penalties went Bolton Wanderers, who slipped up against struggling Tranmere Rovers at Prenton Park. Stockton had initially given Rovers the lead on the stroke of half time, before Beckford levelled mid way through the second period. The League One side won the resulting shoot-out 4-2 after extre time failed to separate the two sides.

There were a number of all Championship encounters An all Yorkshire derby at the Keepmoat saw Doncaster Rovers crash out to near neighbours Leeds United as the visitors managed to win 3-1. Wootton gave United the lead in the 41st minute, with Paynter levelling in the 63rd minute. It wasn't enough to force extra time as Smith (77th min) and McCormack (80th min pen) made sure that the visitors went through to the next round.

Huddersfield Town had to come from behind to beat Charlton Athletic at the John Smiths Stadium after Stephens had given the SE Londomn side the lead in the 32nd minute. Lynch levelled 8 minutes later only to see Sordell restore the visitors advantage just before the hour mark. Hogg and Hammill (77th and 82nd mins respectively) eased the Terriers through.

A bizarre enounter was played out between Yeovil Town and Birmingham City at Huish Park where the visitors managed to edge it on a penalty shoot out. Bartley had put the Blues ahead in the 20th minute, only to see Upson cancel that out 2 minutes later. Shinnie restored the Blues' advantage on the stroke of half time. Then it all got rather silly Yeovil's Webster made it 2-2 in the 91st minutes to sent the time in to extra time when he controversially chipped into an empty net after Blues goalkeeper Colin Doyle had kicked the ball out following an injury to a colleague. With the defender still down, Webster quickly received the ball from the throw-in and chipped Doyle, who was still off his line, prompting a skirmish between both sets of players!!! In the 105th minute Ayling put the Glovers ahead. From the re-start, to atone to the "unsporting behaviour" from earlier, Yeovil allowed City to walk the ball straight down the other end to equalise through Novak in the 106th minute!! The Glovers lost the resulting penalty shoot out 3-2!

Nottingham Forest eased Millwall out at the City Ground with a 2-1 extra time victory. Derbyshire gave Forest the lead in the 59th minute with Feeney levelling with 4 minutes left on the clock. Lascelles eased the home side through with the winner 4 minutes in to extra time.

Watford managed to ease their way through against AFC Bournemouth at Vicarage Road with a 2-0 win. Ward put past his own keeper on the quarter hour with Battocchio putting the result beyond doubt mid way through the second period.

Burnley managed to see off Lancashire neighbours Preston North End at Turf Moor as goals from Trippier (6th min) and Ings (34th min) eased the home side through.

Leicester City managed to see off Carlisle United with what turned out to be a comprehensive 5-2 win, even though they did have to come from behind to do so. Amoo gave the Cumbrians the lead in the 16th minute, only to see goals from Wood (38th, 59th (p), and 63rd mins), Dyer (47th min) and Knockaert (51st min) turn the game, leaving Berrett the chance for a consolation in the 71st min.

Derby County eased past Brentford at Pride Park as the East Midlands side ran 5 past the side from SW London. Braces from Martin (19th & 77th mins), and Sammon (36th & 71st mins) plus one from Hughes in the 38th minute proved too much for the League One side.

Barnsley were the only Championship side to come up against Premiership opposition as the strugglers were brushed aside by Southampton at Oakwell. A Dawson strike for the Tykes in the 53rd minute sandwiched strikes from Davis (26th min) and Rodriguez (49th min), plus goals from Mayuka (66th min), Davis with a penalty in the 89th min as well as Ramirez in the 91st minute.

Source: Cherries MAD