skip to content

Seedorf confirms Milan exit

21 Jun 2012 18:18:45

Seedorf confirms Milan exit

Clarence Seedorf on Thursday confirmed he is leaving AC Milan for pastures new after 10 years at the club.

Several other veterans such as Filippo Inzaghi, Alessandro Nesta, Gianluca Zambrotta, Gennaro Gattuso and Mark van Bommel had already announced their departures this summer.

The 36-year-old Surinam-born Dutchman said he would soon reveal his next destination.

"I'll do it soon but I'm taking my time. I've had many offers, really loads, many more than when I came to Milan 10 years ago," said Seedorf.

"But I've never moved for financial reasons, I want a project that will stimulate me.

"I won't disappear from the face of the earth. This is a goodbye rather than an adieu."

Seedorf won two Champions League crowns and two Serie A titles during his decade with the rossoneri.

He also won the Champions League with Ajax and Real Madrid, adding two Dutch titles and one in Spain as well.

Seedorf played 87 times for Holland, scoring 11 goals, and is the only player to have won the Champions League with three different clubs.

But he pointed to a Champions League semi-final as his greatest Milan memory.

"I'm leaving with three pictures in my mind: Milanello (Milan's training base) which has been my home, the 2007 semi-final Milan-Manchester United and a San Siro never seen before with a crazy energy, unity of intent and Milan at their very best."

The match in question was a second leg won 3-0 by the Italians after having lost 3-2 at Old Trafford.

It was one of Seedorf's best performances in a Milan shirt, which he topped off with a goal.


AFP

Sponsored links