CSKA reject Honda bid, Kaka back on menu
AC Milan will put off signing Japanese forward Keisuke Honda until January, meaning the focus is now on bringing Real Madrid forward Kaka back to the club, reports in Italy said Saturday.
Milan CEO Adriano Galliani confirmed Friday he was trying to lure Honda or Kaka to the club, with the priority being the Japan international forward because he could fill in for Kevin-Prince Boateng, sold to Schalke 04 on Friday.
Reports on Saturday, however, said Milan's 3m euro bid, plus bonuses, for the CSKA Moscow player had been rejected by the Russian club.
Gazzetta dello Sport said Milan will now hope to sign Honda in January on a free transfer as his contract expires on December 31, meaning they can turn their attention on luring 31-year-old Kaka back to the club where he scored 70 goals in 193 appearances between 2003 and 2009.
Kaka launched a come and get me plea to the Rossoneri in midweek and although he appears keen to return -- with the carrot of regular playing time a year before Brazil hosts the World Cup -- there are disagreements over personal terms.
Gazzetta said Milan had offered annual wages of 3m euros while the Brazilian forward was hoping for 8m.
Coach Massimiliano Allegri, whose Milan side host Cagliari on Sunday a week after losing their season opener to promoted Verona, said he had "faith" a deal could be struck for Kaka.
"Kaka would strengthen us. He's versatile, and his technical attributes would be a big plus to the team," said Allegri.
"We still have two and a half days till the end of the transfer window and the club is working on it. I have faith."
Milan's push to bolster their squad before Monday's transfer deadline comes days after they qualified for the group stages of the Champions League.
The Serie A giants sold Boateng to Bundesliga side Schalke 04 for a reported 12m euros on Friday and confirmed the signing of Juventus striker Alessandro Matri for approximately the same amount.
Related AC Milan News