Allegri defiant amid Rijkaard rumours
Published : 25 Oct 2012 13:47:39
AC Milan coach Massimiliano Allegri has insisted his side's latest setback has not signalled the bell for his departure amid reports the club are lining up former player Frank Rijkaard to take over.
Allegri employed a new 4-3-3 formation for their Champions League clash away to Malaga on Wednesday and despite a late fightback the Italian giants succumbed to Joaquin Sanchez's second-half winner.
Milan's sixth defeat from 11 games in all competitions has underlined the ongoing task facing Allegri, who lost the spine of an experienced side in a busy summer transfer period.
And a report by the 7gold television network on Thursday claimed the club was set to lure former Rossonero Rijkaard from his post as coach of the Saudi Arabian national team.
Allegri -- who led Milan to the league title in 2011 and a runner-up place behind Juventus last year -- said he is not throwing in the towel.
"I'm not quitting, absolutely not," said Allegri.
"It's not my style to quit, and I have a lot of the faith in this squad. I think we can get back into the Serie A and the Champions League for us isn't over yet.
"It's a fairly balanced group."
Having drawn against Anderlecht at the San Siro and scored a morale-boosting win away to Zenit St Petersburg, Milan are now second in Group C on four points behind leaders Malaga, who have nine.
In Serie A, however, Allegri's side sit in lowly sixth from bottom with only seven points from eight games.
Milan host Genoa on Saturday at the San Siro where they will be looking for their first win since a 2-0 victory over Cagliari a month ago.